Great resource for churches interested in captioning, and they also provide related services – consulting, etc.
Some of my favorite pages:
Did you know:
From their “Did you know”:
“Christians are called to preach the gospel to the whole world, including people who are deaf.
In light of this, consider the following statistics:
- There are 28 million Deaf and hard-of-hearing people in North America.
- 98% of the people with a hearing loss do not have a church home.
- The deaf are the 4th largest unreached people group in the world.
- 90% of people with hearing loss do not use sign language.
- 90% of the deaf are born to hearing parents.
- Of those parents, 92% do not sign.
(Submitted by Bernice Radavich, RDR, CRR, CPE, from Lemont, IL)
Captions are not only used by the deaf and hard of hearing. Others who use captions include:
- people learning English as a second language
- children learning to read
- visual learners
- 20% of what they SEE
- 30% of what they HEAR
- 50% of what they HEAR AND SEE
Wouldn’t you rather have your congregation retain 50% of what is said in church service?”